Wednesday, December 5, 2018

My Home Town /Bormla

It is the feast of my home town Bormla on Saturday. The 8th of December which is the feast of the Holy Immaculate Mary aka Virgin Mary aka Jesus's mother. It also happens to be my birthday. Growing up I viewed the celebrations purely solipsist--about me--supporting my misguided belief that everyone was acknowledging my birthday. And a remnant of that hubris still exist today as I walk around the city looking at all the decorations for my birthday.







My family home faces the main church, the parocca (par-oh-cha). A tall narrow house that sports a banner across the street during the feast. They renamed the street from Santa Theresa to the Street of the Pilgrimage after the Pope came through the street in his popemobile.


But there are many changes to the city that have nothing to do with the locals. We have multi-million dollar boats moored on the quay of the harbor. Boats that look like multi-storied building on their side. Some are just beyond ostentatious. Take the 6711 Geo. That is the name of the 28 million Euro Netherland-built boat that sits at the end of the dock in Bormla (technically this is part of Birgu). This boat hosts a helicopter, a submarine and all the toys needed to enjoy the sea. It holds all the toys for rich people who are on another yacht at sea. A 28 million Euro toy storage.




There are many incongruities in Bormla and surrounding areas. The three cities that make up part of the Grand Harbou (Bormla, Birgu and l'Isla) share in this character.  But we have always been places of contrasts. The fortifications and palaces that are dotted across the three cities are quiet reminders of past expressions of wealth. Now we have very expensive deluxe apartments, hundreds of multi-million Euro boats and restaurants that cater for the rich.






No comments:

Post a Comment